Did You Know....
College Is Expensive?
People aren't saving enough?
- Average total cost of attendance of an in-state public school in the New England region is $26, 891
- Average total cost of attendance of an out-of-state public school in the New England region is $40, 403
- Average total cost of attendance of a private school in the New England region is $54,860
College is not an expense, it is an investment in your child's future?
- Only 17% of parents saved at least $5,000 for college
The private college counselor business has been booming?
- College graduates with a Bachelor's Degree earn $56,500 a year versus $35,400 a year for a high school graduate (Master's degree = $70,000, PhD= $91,000, Professional Degree = $102,200)
- College graduates have lower smoking rates, higher levels of civic participation (including volunteering, voting, and blood donation), and lower levels of unemployment
Help is available and the key is finding it?
- 26% of high-achieving students hired an independent college consultant
- The average family hiring an educational consultant in the U.S. is a public-school family making a middle-class income
- The average ratio of American public high-school students per guidance counselor is 476 to 1, and guidance counselors spend an average of just 38 minutes discussing each individual student's college search and application process
Finding the "right school" saves you money, the "wrong school" will cost you?
- The 120 colleges with the largest endowments in the country have a total of $320 billion dollars of endowment available
- 83.5% of students attending private colleges receive a college grant; the average discount (FREE MONEY!) is nearly 40%
- 60% of students attend more than one 4-year college
- Only 36% of students graduate in 4 years
- Only 57.5% of students graduate in 6 years
Collegeboard: "Trends in College Pricing", 2013
Wall Street Journal Online, March 27, 2006
Collegeboard: "Education Pays," 2013
University of Pennsylvania, Daily Pennsylvania, 2012
Mark Sklarow, Fox Business, May 2011
American School Counselor Association 2011
National Center for Education Statistics, 2007
Octameron Associates, "Don't Miss Out," 2009-2010 Edition
Department of Education National Center for Education Statistics, 2007